We Have Now Become Brighton Zoomanists!
We hope that you are well and coping with the lockdown restrictions.
As we are sure you know, due to the Covid19 pandemic, we had to cancel our normal meetings from April onwards, but from May began holding events online using Zoom. We are also looking into ways of holding the following online events using Zoom:
- Collaboration with other local groups across the UK to share events.
- Weekly socials for members to simply drop in and have a chat.
- A series of “What is Humanism?” talks.
- Special Interest Groups such as Young Humanists, Book Clubs, or Science discussion groups, etc.
- An Inter-generational Skills Exchange for older members to pass on skills that are in danger of being lost and for younger members to pass on new skills that are emerging.
- In the longer term we are considering bringing our live events to a larger online audience and hope to continue our more successful online activities.
We are sure you will agree, therefore, that the Covid19 lockdown has not been entirely negative but has also yielded some positive and exciting results.
However, operating in this way does have its risks which we have put a lot of effort into minimizing. For example, we will not make public the joining instructions for our events. Rather, we will only pass them to our registered members, people who are known by us to have a link with Brighton Humanists and members of other humanist groups whose names have been provided to us in advance via our contact form or emailing email@example.com, and only those people will be admitted to an event. In this way we can be reasonably confident of avoiding any “unpleasant surprises”.
Logging into a Zoom meeting is very straightforward. You can either click on the link that we will email to you or, alternatively, download the free Zoom Client from their website and register with them using your own email address and password. In either case, to join the meeting at the appropriate time you simply enter the meeting ID and passcode that we will also send to you. You will then enter a “waiting room” while your name is checked. It is important to join the meeting using your own full name, e.g. “John Smith” rather than just “John” as the meeting host will only admit recognized members.
If you are currently not a registered member of Brighton Humanists or any other humanist group and don’t have an existing link with us, but find the above of interest, we would urge you to complete and return this membership form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Payment of your membership subscription (£10 single or £7.50 per person in a household) should be by bank transfer from an account in your name to: Brighton Humanists, Sort Code 09-06-66 Account No. 41642556. Your subscription will entitle you to participation in all our events until September 2021.
CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS OF OUR FUTURE EVENTS